Wednesday 12 November 2014

THE LUFC DIARIES: George Graham On Gardening



The LUFC Diaries was delighted to catch-up with Leeds United manager George Graham at Harlow Carr Botanical Gardens in Harrogate.  George loves gardening and boy didn't he let us know that. George had the nickname 'Stroller' in his playing career but today he reminded me of a mafia don. John Gotti always dressed well for his many trials but he couldn't escape from looking like a thug, Graham looks like a boss you had to respect.  Having won November's Premier League Manager of the Month award & signing a new improved contract at Elland Road, George Graham was back on top of his game & in demand.  I wanted to know how George Graham was enjoying life back in football management.



'Last year was tough and I know the team bored everyone to tears but we were in a relegation battle and had to stay in the Premier League'.  'When I was a player football used to be an entertainment, now it's a business'. 'I knew the financial situation when I came to Leeds, I knew we couldn't spend the sort of money like Manchester United, Arsenal & Chelsea do'. 'I told the fans that this isn't going to be a quick job, I told them we had to progress gradually and bring in the kids who have love for the club'.  'I want to copy the model of Manchester United where most of the first team came through their youth ranks, they have got it right'.  'I did the same at Arsenal and I had it right for a period of time'.  'We had superstars here last season who were waiting to be pensioned off, I had to change that culture at the club'. 'I've inherited a good youth policy at Leeds, let's stick the kids in'. 'I admire teams that build things for the long term, not for quick short term success. 'I tell all my players the way I work and the way they are gonna have to work for me'. 'I try to let players know what is expected from them, it's as simple as that'.  'I hear all this modern thinking of let players express themselves, I believe in that but not to the detriment of the team'.  'Let the team win first and then they can express themselves'.



Finally, I asked George Graham if he was worried that his hobby for gardening will affect his tough guy reputation?

'Haha, it's just an act...a good act'.

No comments:

Post a Comment