Saturday 30 August 2014

THE LUFC DIARIES: David Hockaday Tribute Video



David Hockaday's reign at Elland Road ended after 70 days but who was this man & how did he ever get the chance to manage Leeds United.  When Hockaday was first linked with Leeds I was shocked, not because I didn't think he deserved to be our next 'Head Coach'. No, I was shocked that I've never heard of the guy.
Like most Leeds fans I had to google Wikipedia to do some research on the man who soon became known as the 'Hock'.  Obviously I wasn't blown away with what I read on the 'Hock' but the fans negative reaction to the man made me want to support him.  Neil Warnock & Brian McDermott both had a great CV before taking the Leeds job but they couldn't handle the pressure of the Elland Road hot-seat, so I thought what the hell let's give this guy a go.  I was naive to think people would think like me & back Cellino's judgment. Hockaday was ridiculed from Day 1, everything from his appearance, to his accent & to every word he spoke was subjected to the mob who wanted him sacked.  Sure, these people were quiet when Leeds beat Middlesborough 1:0 at Elland Road but they were only waiting for the next defeat to repeat their hate for the 'Hock'.  Even though Hockaday had the backing from senior players in the Leeds United dressing room his appointment as Head Coach created a black cloud over the club where every defeat turned into 'will he stay or be fired' routine. Cellino had to get rid of this black cloud & Hockaday simply had to go.
Did the 'Hock' get a fair crack at the job? Of course not.
Will Cellino get the next appointment right? That's a good question.

No comments:

Post a Comment